Welcome

Welcome to my blog where I randomly talk about Good Things That Make Designing More Fun. Enjoy it and leave a suggestion or a comment or two.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Still On The Grid


Ask anyone in my studio -- I am the source for all things "old school". Need an ellipse template? Go see Bill. Need a bar compass? Go see Bill. Need a little erasing shield?
Yeah, you get it.

It is a collection that has been amassed over many years. This is true for a few reasons: 1) I am by far the oldest person in the studio as none of the others have escaped their 20s yet. 2) I never throw anything away. Well, rarely, anyway. 3) I still appreciate the "old school" approach to designing. A thick pen in your hand; a roll of trash; a scale. Yeah, that’s a good time.

This leads me to wonder how many things have been designed and built over the years simply due to the arc of a grand stroke that was the radius of elbow to pencil tip. Also makes me think of the time Robert Marvin told me it was time for me to “stop designing with a pencil and start designing with your mind”.

So, for most of my career these “tools of the trade” have been hung (somewhat neatly) on two black plastic covered grids with plastic hooks on them. I got them at The Container Store in Dallas, TX way back in the early 80’s. I don’t think they are available like this anymore. Well, not in black. They still have a similar product in white. They have a similar product in metal too. Nice.

Anyway, the next time anyone in the studio needs a flexible curve they know exactly where to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment